Monday, March 30, 2009

Preperation and Progress

Long time no post...yep, I am still here...just nothing new going on.....well nothing new aside from my belly getting bigger and bigger and we are now 11 days from my due date. ELEVEN DAYS! I can't believe how fast this has gone by...I know that I have said that time and time again but really...this has been so quick.

Almost done with the nursery, just a wall hanging to hang, a crib skirt to find, a lamp to buy and some stars to decoupage (I think). I was going to do a whole vintage cowboy thing and then well everything is so expensive and I did not want to buy stuff that would be just used for a baby room...and I wanted to use stuff that we already had. We ended up with a colorful room for this lil' guy. The walls were painted a cream color, red went on the dresser and a mirror that hangs over the changing table, dark blue curtains were hung and a bench covered in dark brown corduroy. The wall hanging is from Turkey and a patchwork of colorful wool squares of red, blue, yellow and green. The mobile is already hanging over the crib, I love the colors, the feathers trimmed and shaped into airy flying butterflies. This week we plan to finish up the nursery and I can't wait to show you pictures!

I have printed off recipes for the freezer meals and will be making those Wednesday and Thursday of this week. I am hoping to have at least 10 meals ready to defrost and some freezer bags filled with pancakes and waffles for a quick breakfast (so glad I still have three frozen containers of blueberries). I am making these enchiladas and this chicken spaghetti casserole both from www.thepioneerwoman.com both dishes I have made before, frozen and have eaten recently...I forgot how good they are! I am also making Lasagna, Pork and Sour Cream Enchiladas along with this enchilada recipe...which I love...love...love...really you should try it!
(do you think I have enough enchiladas???)

Chicken Tomatillo Black Bean Enchiladas
by Nili

You will need:
White Corn tortillas
Can of black beans
small can of chopped green chiles
one supermarket rotisserie chicken (southwest flavor if they have it)
jar of Pace's new Tequila Lime Salsa
Kraft (or any kind) 4 cheese Mexican blend (2 cups)
6 or so tomatillos

de-bone and shred or cut chicken into small pieces
drain and rinse black beans
take paper-like husk off of tomatillo, rinse well and dice into bite size pieces, (if you have never tasted or cooked with these before they should be firm, bright green and will have a little stickiness to them when you take the husk off, they have a lemony/lime like flavor)

Mix
chicken, black beans, green chiles, 1 cup of cheese and the diced tomatillos
Pour enough salsa to lightly coat the bottom of your pan.
Pour the salsa that is left into a shallow bowl.

Dip the corn tortilla (some find it easier to soften the tortilla in the micro for a couple of seconds wrapped in a damp paper towel) in the salsa coating both sides, then place in pan, place some of the chicken mix in the center of the tortilla and then roll the tortilla placing overlapping sides down. Continue until you have filled the pan, then spread the remaining cup of cheese over the top.

Seven things are left on my To Do list (I did have 17 whooohooo 10 down) I hope to have everything crossed off by the end of this week so I can make sure the house and all the regular upkeep...dusting, vacuuming and laundry are caught up before I go into labor. So hopefully!

Walking a lot and trying to stay busy...the anticipation is building..I can't wait to meet this little growing miracle!
There are still several things on the list to buy for baby but we can get them after...diapers are washed and ready along with his cute clothes and blankets and stuff...
So just waiting and preparing...glad to see progress!

No comments: