Wednesday, August 17, 2016

"Mama! What Are We Doing Tomorrow?"

One of the most asked questions in my home, even from the little two year old, is "What are we doing tomorrow?" Being a homeschooling family staying at home, a lot, as a family (except their dad who is at work) is something that we just do.  However, my kids do not like to stay at home. They want to go and see and do and explore and play with friends and just.not.be.at.home.  So I have quickly learned to gather my resources and find all.the.things.


Some of the things that I have found in my area are:
Horseback Riding Lessons
Swimming Lessons
Art Class
Martial Arts
Writing Workshops
Nature Centers
Conservation & Wildlife Rehabilitation Centers
Zoo Classes for Homeschoolers
Homeschool Groups
Friend Groups
Local Parks
Local Trails
Library (our local Children's Librarian is an Angel for this homeschool mom)
Tennis Lessons
Local Church Children's Activities
Roller Skating
Ice Skating
Museums
Aquariums
Indoor Pools
Indoor Play Places....
And really the list could go on and on. Some of these activities are only for the school age kids, others we can all go and enjoy a day/activity out of the house.


We are a part of a local group of homeschoolers who meet a couple times a month for activities such as gym days, field trips, "class parties" (Christmas, Valentines, etc), Spelling Bees, Science and History Fairs and a Mom's Encouragement Night (which is very important!). Calling the local library,   searching through Facebook for homeschool groups and talking to other homeschool moms is where I have found all.the.things. We start our school year next Monday and we already have weekly horseback riding lessons, a monthly writing workshop, weekly art classes, bi-weekly Martial Arts lessons and three field trips on the calendar.


I have found for me, and my family, that the balance of getting out and doing, exploring, having extra classes or just playing in the local creek; coupled with the book-work of sitting at the table is one of the joys of homeschooling. Taking the time to listen to these explorers of mine and answer the call of their restless hearts to get out and see and play has so much value; this is how they learn, about themselves and about the world around them.



Albert Einstein said " Play is the highest form of research."
Play on my explorers...play on...and I'll do my part to find all.the.things.


No comments: