Monday, August 22, 2016

The Best White Bean Chili Evah

Sometimes you come across a recipe that is SO GOOD...while you are eating you ask the cook for the recipe please and every now and again they are able to share it with you.  Eight years ago I was in Arkansas celebrating the 30th birthday of a good friend. My friend Kelly hosted five of us who came from out of town and she served up a chili that was so tasty...I had to ask her for the recipe...and she was so kind to share.  I have since made this chili at least once a month and changed it up a bit to make it my own and to suit the protein that I had on hand. The coolest thing about recipes from friends is every time I make one...I think of the friend that gave it to me and the time I spent with them.

Now that Summer is coming to an end...Tis the season for soups, stews, chilis, homemade breads and all the fall goodness that happens in the kitchen. I have made this with rotisserie chicken, grilled chicken, smoked turkey and smoked pork. My favorite is with smoked pork.



Smoked Pork and White Bean Chili
Ingredients 

1TBSP olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
3 cloves garlic pressed or minced
2 heaping tsp dried oregano
1 TBSP ground cumin
1 heaping tsp powdered ginger
4 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 cups cooked protein of your choice
2 cans white beans (drained)
2 jalapeno peppers, minced or 4 oz can chopped green chiles
2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
salt and pepper to taste

For Toppings
Additional Cheese
Cilantro, finely chopped 
Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
Grape Tomatoes quartered
Avocado, sliced or chopped
Sliced JalapeƱos
Tortilla Chips

Cooking Instructions

Heat olive oil in large dutch oven or soup pot. 
Add onion and saute over medium heat until softened. 
Add garlic, oregano, cumin and ginger. Cook stirring for one minute. 
Add broth and bay leaf. 
Cook uncovered over medium heat until somewhat reduced (5-8 minutes). 
Add chicken, beans and jalapenos. Simmer uncovered for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. 
Over low heat add a little cheese at a time, stirring until melted. Add pepper. Taste and add salt as needed. Cook five additional minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve with toppings at the table.


No comments: